October 08, 2012

What LiveStrong Really Means

The livestrong bracelet was originally created as a method of fundraising for cancer with the original goal of achieving 25 million. Since 2004 when this bracelet took off it has successfully sold over 80 million copies and inspired countless other charities and organizations to create their own bracelet.

I see many people wearing livestrong and I often wonder if they know what it really means. Are they wearing it for a fashion fad, or to make a statement or is it truly a declaration that they do livestrong.

Well I guess to determine that we would first have to understand what LiveStrong meant. I looked around on the internet and the best I could come up with I found at wikipedia and it said it is meant to encourage people to live life to the fullest.

Now how on earth can a bracelet encourage you to live your life to the fullest with just one word? Frankly, I don't think it can. Unless you have the consititution to be living your life to the fullest and this serves as just a reminder to you and everyone else you are doing that. But to expect a bracelet to change our entire vision and start making us live life differently is crazy.

I like to look at this as more. Livestrong to me is more than just living life to the fullest, it is about living your life with true strength. By wearing this bracelet you are making a declaration to everyone around you that you have true strength and have the fortitude to get through anything life throws your way.

I came across a quote the sums up a perfect definition of true strength

"Anyone can give up - it's the easiest thing in the world to do. BUT to hold it together, when everyone else would understand if you fell apart - that's True Strength." - Unknown

I think this is why so many cancer survivors wear this bracelet. It isn't just a reminder to them to live their life to the fullest. It is a reminder that when life threw them one of the biggest curveballs they could have expected, they hung in their and exhibited more true strength than could have been imagined. This bracelet is a declaration of their inner true strength and a reminder that they have the strength to handle whatever life throws at them.


 
Did You Enjoy This Blog? Get all my posts delivered FREE to your email!

No comments:

Post a Comment