April 13, 2011

The Core of Our Happiness


This past weekend I had a one on one photography lesson and the “inevitable” question came that most people dread, “What type of photography interests you?”  I drew a blank, then uttered a coupled different things.  This question has sparked much more reflection in me much greater than I am sure it was intended for.

For me photography is more than just taking photos.  The opportunity for walking around and exploring different aspects of the city are big part of why I’m drawn to it.  Before when I went out, I would go with a purpose, for instance to catch some shots of birds.  These days however, I just go out to make photographs.  Sometimes they turn out to be landscapes, other times candid photographs, and others times random still life shots.  For me it is now just about capturing interesting subjects whatever they may be, as long as they align with my visual philosophy.

So what is my visual philosophy then?  I think to properly be able to identify what style of photography and therefore your visual philosophy, you have to take it deeper to your core philosophies in life.  What type of person are you?  What do you enjoy?

For me, going through my battle with leukemia changed many of my core philosophies.  I find now I everything has slowed down.  I walk slower, drive slower, and even sometimes eat slower.  I am finding pleasure and beauty in things I would not have even taken a second glance at before.  And as time progresses I have become introspective and reflective.

These are many of the reasons I was drawn to photography in the first place.  But when I look back on the images and reflect, I realize my passion for photography is not in shooting wildlife, or landscape, or people.  It is in capturing a moment.  This moment may occur in any of the genres but it needs to be something that speaks to me philosophically and then I trying to share that moment with my camera. 

It has helped me realize that the biggest change leukemia did, was it made me an observer.  I think that is why I have been drawn to my newest adventure of candid street photography so much.  Some people think it is creepy, which it could be if done wrong.  But it is about capturing life’s purest moments and sharing them.  What can be creepy about that?  When it comes to landscapes and landmarks that I photograph, I seem to only shoot them when the sky is telling a story, whether it be a beautiful sunrise or an angry cloudy sky just before a storm.  With animals, I have found my favorites are always when I catch them in a candid moment just like in people.

Reflecting on our personal philosophies should not be limited to photographers only, we should all be doing it.  It will help us understand in our lives and what makes us happy.  If you are not the introspective, observant type, going for a slow meandering walk after dinner will not make you happy.  By taking the time to understand ourselves, we will be able to better make choices in our lives that ensure our happiness.  In addition, it will help us avoid situations we don’t enjoy.  And if we can’t avoid them, by understanding ourselves better, we can control our emotions in times of displeasure.

Have you taken the time to sit down and reflect on your own philosophies?  Think about times when you are happiest and most at peace.  When was it, what were you doing? And most importantly what exactly brought you that peace and happiness.  These are the keys to understanding your own personal philosophies that govern your happiness.  I hope each of you tries it out, and I would love to hear about your experiences. 



Do You Enjoy This Blog? Get all my posts delivered FREE to your email!

No comments:

Post a Comment